Thursday, September 18, 2008

"There is no lovelier place in the world than Canterbury"-Virginia Woolf











Amazing and surreal is the only way to describe the last few days. I have done and seen so much I can't even begin to describe it all. I love Canterbury, the people, the buildings, everything! I can't get over how beautiful the city is and I don't think I will ever stop being amazed by all of the wonderful old buildings, especially the Cathedral. Beth, Amy and I went up to Herne Bay on Tuesday for about four hours and just explored. It's a very cute town and there were lots of interesting things to see. The beach was so peaceful and great for people watching, we found a few bakeries and discovered a new passion for Chelsea buns. They are like a cinnamon roll with raisins and sugar on top instead of icing. We found a war memorial park and got invited into a bowling club by and older gentlemen who saw Amy trying to take a picture over the high fence. That was a neat little experience. I love when people here want to know where I'm from because my accent gives me away even though I try to be a local. ;) I've talked to so many interesting people just because I'm American. I love it! Yesterday two of my classes started, British History and Modern Britain. The history class is all American students, but the other will have British students in it starting next week when all classes start. My schedule is awesome! I only have class Wednesday and Thurday, only two class a day for about two hours. That's how classes work here, only meeting once per week. So I pretty much have a five day weekend to travel and explore! I couldn't ask for more! Last night we stayed in our flat, made tea and watched Rocky Horror Picture Show...quite...well...interesting, the movie that is. I had never seen it before, but it was a great time especially getting to know some of the girls better. My flatmate Nikita is awesome! We are both vegetarians and lactose intolerant and we like to cook, so we are a perfect combo! Right now we are the only two in our six person flat/house, but more should be coming this weekend. We think they are going to be British students that requested to live with international students, so we are both really excited to have more people in such a big house. It just feels so empty, even though it's still amazing! A bunch of my new friends and I went on the Canterbury river boat tour on the River Stour. It was so beautiful and the weather was perfect. In fact, it hasn't rained once since I've been here. Just beautiful clear weather and temps in the lower 60s. I have been so blessed by the experiences that I've had here already and can't wait for what is ahead. Tomorrow we have our first field trip of the city and the Cathedral. More picture taking opportunities! I'm going post links to Facebook to see my pictures because uploading them here isn't working very well and takes a long time. Let me know if you can't see them, but you might since I took off the lock. The pictures that I did get up are of High Street in Canterbury, the outside of my favourite pub (Two Sawyers), a view from the river and a pic I took at Herne Bay beach. Homesickness has gotten loads better, but that doesn't mean I don't still miss everyone back home terribly and want to bring you all here with me! Take care!
Cheers!
e

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2002471&id=1149360159

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2002472&id=1149360159

Once again let me know if you can't get to it and I'll try to figure out a way to get more pictures up!

1 comment:

Norbert said...

Yay E! That is so awesome that you get this experience. I am jealous of you. Keep the updates and pictures coming!