Monday, September 15, 2008

I'm HERE!!!




Greetings from across the pond!
First of all, this country is wonderful! It's beautiful, interesting and the people are so nice! I love it! The flight from Chicago to London was long (about 7 1/2 hours), but pretty good all things considered. I couldn't sleep at all, but I did get to watch Made of Honor during the flight! :) I couldn't see Ireland when we flew over, but Wales was my first view of the Britain was the coast of Wales. It was so beautiful even from the air! We got to London and just couldn't believe that we were actually there. Matt and I both kept saying how surreal it was, especially everyone around us with British accents! :) Customs was bloody awful! A whole bunch of flights came in at once and it took us a hour or more to get through. We found our bags and driver after a bit of a panic, not seeing a guy with a sign for us. We drove about an hour and a half to Canterbury through beautiful southern England. Rolling hills, farms, cows, sheep and driving on the wrong side of the road was all great. Which brings me to driving in England. They are nuts!...sort of in a good way. All the streets are very narrow, even the main roads and people just cut in and out, especially in the city. However, they are so nice to one another, letting people by, waving people on, stopping for people...it's refreshing to see after driving in Normal the other day in the rain....crazy! We got into Canterbury at about 11:15am local time, so about 5:11am in Illinois. We got settled in to our flats. My flat is amazing!!! They are brand new and everything is new and clean and wonderful...well all except the really heavy doors and a bunch of things that we don't know how to use, but we are learning. I got a bit upset when I was unpacking my things, looking at pictures and notes from back home. That first day was exciting and awful at the same time. I hadn't slept in close to 40 hours, I was jet lagged, alone in a foreign country and missing home pretty bad. That combination made me cry...a lot. I met a wonderful British girl that invited me to the Christian Union service and I cried through most of it, partly because I was so happy that I heard what I did there and also because I just kept being reminded of home and people. Today has been much better though. I met even more great people and was busy going to orientation talks. I didn't sleep terribly well, but still felt more rested today. I met some girls, on from Normal even and we're going to Herne Bay on the coast tomorrow by bus. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures. I love and miss everyone dearly! We don't have Internet in our flat right now, but I'll try to get on again as soon as I can. Love to all!
Cheers! :)
e
The pictures are of my room in the house/flat and my first picture of Canterbury Cathedral with the city wall in the foreground. More to come!

2 comments:

Pam Kuchenmeister said...

Wow! I can hardly believe you are there! I can only imagine what you are seeing, smelling, & feeling. It will be hard at first, but get your rest, eat well, and take in all the newness! We are so proud of your decision to study in Canterbury! Can't wait to see some pics! Keep bloggin' We LOVE You and MISS you! Mom

Tracy Rennie said...

I am so jealous and wish I could be there as well!! It's a beautiful country; take every opportunity you can to see it all!!The homesickness will always be there, but it will get better! I'll miss you at band practice tonight. Right now, I am so homesick for the UK; the little tea shops, town centers, the footpaths and the people. Can't wait to read more about your trip and see your pictures.
Tracy