Friday, September 26, 2008

Dover Castle and the beautiful English Channel!







I am constantly amazed by the beauty of this country and just in the county of Kent alone (since I haven't really been too far outside of Kent). I've really been enjoying living here and all the experiences that I have had already. This week was my first full week of classes. I said full week, but what I really mean is that I also had my two Thursday classes, since I only have classes on Wednesday and Thursday. My U.S. foreign policy class is going to be great, if the first day is any clue into what the class is going to be like for the term. I'm the only American student, so it will be interesting if they sort of go after me for answers about things. Not saying that I would get attacked for what the government has done, but just for the perspective of someone from the country being addressed. Today we had our second fieldtrip with the US study abroad group. We left for Dover at about 9:30am and got back at about 4:30pm. It was a long day of walking and sightseeing, but soooo worth it! I loved getting to see the famous "White Cliffs" of Dover and they are very beautiful. The weather was beautiful and just added to the splendor of it all. We got a tour of the underground wartime tunnels that were built into the chalk cliffs. No pictures were allowed, but I have some great pictures in my mind. Being a WWII nerd, I soaked up as much of the WWII stuff as I could. The gift shop was great, but I wanted to buy the entire place...so maybe not so great. :) We hiked all over the castle grounds for several hours, taking lots of pictures. By the end of the trip I had taken 176 pictures...I have some great ones, but I think I was a bit photo happy. I'll post up some of the best ones. I've still got to figure out a place where I can upload my pictures to albums and post the links here, so you all can see them, Facebook won't work for this...boo. Tomorrow we are planning on going up the northern coast in Kent (Herne Bay again, Whitstable and the little town of Blean). There is a much bigger group of us going this time, so I hope that works out well. I tend to get a little nervous with bigger groups traveling, then when I'm just with a few people. I know it will be a blast though. Hope everyone is well and I miss you all!
Love from across the pond!
e

No comments: