Monday, October 6, 2008

Willkommen bei Deutchland!









I have decided that everyone must come to Germany. It is so incredibly beautiful, I can't even describe how wonderful it is here. I've done so much since Friday that instead of having an obnoxiously long post I'm going to break it up by what we have done so far.

Dad arrived in England on Thursday (10/2), after quite the Canterbury tale trying to find my flat and then me. We left around 4:30am Friday morning to get to Stansted airport, we were running late and took one wrong exit and were afraid we might miss the check in for our 7:20am flight to Hahn. After scrambling a bit we did get checked in and on the flight. Within an hour we were in Germany and were met at the airport by our former exchange student Jens and his wife Nicole and their little boy Jaron (said like yaron). I hadn't seen Jens in 15 years (I was about 4 when he was at ISU), so it was really fun to see him after all that time. They have been treating us like royalty while we've been here. They took us to Heidelburg on Friday and got to have our first taste of German culture. We had some typical German food at a restaurant near a famous bridge and it was wonderful. I had noodles with a pumpkin sauce that was so yummy...I'm going to have to try and make it back home. Heidelburg is in the Rhine valley and there are a lot of vineyards and beautiful fall trees. We went up to the castle, but we couldn't go inside because it was closing...still got some great pictures of some of the castle ruins. Jens drove us back to their house in Esslingen (near Stuttgart). We ate and talked for a while, I was also able to get online to Skype since my phone is so much more expensive in Germany. Slept in on Saturday morning and had a wonderful German breakfast...the bread here is soooo good! Seriously, Germany is going to take a toll on my waistline. Spent most of the afternoon in downtown Stutgartt shoping with Nicole. Found some great boots! We all went back to the house and all pitched in to make a big dinner. Jens' dad come over for dinner and to meet us (he loves Americans :)). Had a good time eating and talking together.

Sunday we decided to go to Rothenburg, instead of paying quite a lot to get the rental car a day early. Dad and I took Nicole's car about 2 hours to Rothenburg and spent the afternoon/evening exploring the city. We found the Hotel Reichs-Küchenmeister, a hotel/restaurant that we just had to see since it (sort of) bares our name. Ended up eating dinner there, ordered my first glass of wine in a restaurant..I know I'm lame, but it was sort of exciting for me. At 8pm we went on the "Night Watchman" tour around the old part of the city. The guy giving the tour was in really funny and dressed like a night watchman. It took us about 3 hours to drive back to Esslingen because of construction traffic and traffic from people leaving the Munich Oktoberfest. Monday we headed to Salzburg, Austria....

1 comment:

Mutti said...

oh my gosh, I am soooo listful. Heidelberg was my favorite town on my first trip to Europe! I am just getting caught up on your adventure and am loving it! So who is the amazing photographer? Gorgeous pictures!