Monday, October 27, 2008

Oxford, the Cotswolds, Bath, Lacock and Stonehenge tour
























































Hi everyone!
It's been a busy weekend traveling around the western part of England, but I was able to see so much! The tour was poorly managed with timing, but it was enjoyable none the less. We took a bus Saturday morning from Canterbury up to Oxford. We got stuck in traffic on the M25 (the main motorway that circles London...very busy all the time) for about on hour, so our schedule for the rest of the day was sort of messed up. We had an hour walking tour of Oxford with a really great guide who happened to be our guide for the entire trip. There was a lot of interesting buildings to see at Oxford University. I never realized that so many colleges made up that huge university! So many famous people have gone to Oxford including C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien and they re also buried nearby. A lot of the Harry Potter films were also filmed in various locations aroudn Oxford. I got near some of them, but didn't want to pay the money to go in to see them...yep, I'm cheap. The one place we were going to pay to go into was Christ Church were the Great Hall from the movie was filmed, but when we got there, there was a sign that said it didn't open until 2:15pm and we had to be back by 2pm. O well, it was still pretty building to take pictures. After Oxford, we drove into the Cotswolds and visited a few of the villages there. I loved the Cotswolds, everything was so quiant and beautiful. I can't believe people actually get to live in these beautiful little villages! We got about 45min or so in each village, which was not enough time, but we were able to take a lot of pictures and enjoy walking around. We stayed in Bristol for the night and after so much time on the bus we were ready to be off and relax. Beth, Amy, Laura and I shared a room and we literally ran to Sainsbury's to get food because we just needed to release some energy. In Burford, one of the Cotswold villages, we bought an apple pie in a little bakery to have later that night. We completely demolished that pie...and a lot of the ice cream we bought at Sainsbury's. It was really, really good, but not quite like an American apple pie, but we weren't complaining...pie is pie. Everyone had a rough night of sleep, but we were off again in the morning after setting our clocks back a hour in to GMT. Our first stop was Bath for another walking tour of the Royal Crecent and down to the old Roman baths. I didn't actually go into were you could see the baths, but I saw it from the ourside. There was a really pretty abbey right next to the baths and I spent most of the time on my own just walking around the city, taking in all of the beautiful views, even though it was raining. Next stop was Lacock, another village in the Cotswolds and another filming location for Harry Potter. Amy, Laura and I decided to have a little lunch in this cute tea room we found. It was so yummy and the soup we had was perfect for such a cold, rainy day. After Lacock we drove to Stonehenge, we were really getting tired of the bus by now. Stonehenge was cool to see, but I probably wouldn't go back again. It is one of those things to see once, just to say you've been there. We didn't have much time there, but I was ok with that since I really only needed about 10 minutes to see what I needed to see. We got back to Canters at about 7pm, after a nearly 3 hour bus ride. I'd be ok if don't get on a charter bus for a while now. Today I have a paper to write and get ready for Dave to come tomorrow! I can't believe he's actually going to be here, but I'm so exited. The plan now is to leave for Dublin on Wednesday night, go to Belfast on Friday, Antrim coast on Saturday and Sunday leave for Scotland. We'll see how that all plays out, especially if there is trouble in Northern Ireland...I hope not. It will probably be after we get back from Ireland and Scotland before I write again. Take care!
e

No comments: