Friday, December 12, 2008

Reflections

So, this is the end. I cannot believe that three months in England have come and gone, but what a great adventure it has turned into. Obviously I knew I was going to have a great time, meet lots of new people and see lots of new things, but I could have never imagined all of the wonderful experiences I’ve had here. Looking back on all I have done, I just am totally amazed by the magnitude of it all. In September I left my sleepy little town of 1800 people and went to a new country, to a city where I really knew no one and had to be completely independent. Although the first few days…ok, the first week was a bit rough, I got through it at just lived. I meet so many great people, both British & American and I learned so much from them. I visited eight countries in about two of the three months I was here and travelled around southern England and London during that time. I took loads of pictures, ate a ton of PB & Js, got very little sleep at some points and rode on very stinky buses. I had middle-aged Norwegian customs officers flirt with me, had a Scottish bus driver yell at me and Dave to get off if we wanted to see the Wallace monument in Stirling, and I cringed every time I rode in a coach, thinking we were going to hit every car we passed. I’ve eaten a baguette in France, wonderful pastries in Germany, had Guiness in Dublin and drank tea in a tea room in the Cotswolds of England. I’ve walked the beaches of Normandy, hiked with my dad in the Austrian Alps, admired the harbours of Oslo, traipsed around the UK & Ireland with the one I love and lit a candle in the quite serenity of Thomas Becket’s shrine at Canterbury Cathedral. In all of these things, I have felt blessed. Blessed for the opportunity, blessed by the people, and blessed by the experiences. I could not have asked for more than what I was given in coming here and I know that I will never, ever forget my time here. Thank all of you for your prayers, encouragement and comments. I’m more than happy to recount any of my adventures at any time so feel free to ask!
One last time, Cheers from across the Pond!
e

1 comment:

Gracie-Lou said...

we have had some amazing adventures haven't we? I'm going to miss you to death beauty! Keep in touch my lovely Erica <3 <3 *BIG HUG FROM GRACIE*