Friday, December 12, 2008

Farewell Canterbury














































Well, before I end my time here, thought I should update with what has gone on in my last week. I ended the last post with some of my really unique experiences in my last weekend, but Monday was a continuation of a great weekend in Canterbury. Monday night was Canterbury Christ Church University’s Candlelight Carol service at the Cathedral. My friends Gracie and Nikita when with me to the service at 8pm that night, what a wonderful night it was. It was pretty cold, but we made the walk from Parham in good time. We took the back way into the cathedral grounds since we have student i.d.s…yep, we’re special! :) I can’t even describe how beautiful the Cathedral is a night all lit up, the pictures just don’t do it justice. There was a long queue to get in, but it moved quickly and gave us time to take pictures of the outside. Inside the Nave was very festive and absolutely beautiful. Since there was so many people we had to sit off to the side of the Nave, but it was still lovely. When the service started they turned off the lights and started to light the candles, I could hardly believe I was there and when the choir started to sing from the back of the Nave I could have just about died with how thrilled I was to be there. It was so incredibly beautiful! I loved being able to sing along to the carols even though there were some that I didn’t know. We left the service so incredibly glad that we decided to get tickets. After, they had mince pies and mulled wine at the university for everyone. Mince pies are really big here, especially the little mini ones. I had yet to try one, but we all did and they were delicious (but we passed on the wine)! :) Tuesday, was spent writing my last paper and Wednesday was my two finals for British History and Modern Britain. My hand felt like it could fall off, but overall I think they went well. Wednesday night I got to have dinner with my British friend Karen and we ate and talked for quite a while. I’m really going to miss her, but hopefully she will come visit me soon! Earlier in the week, Nikita and I decided that we were going to go to London for a few hours on Thursday so she could say goodbye to her love, Big Ben and I could go to the Cabinet War Rooms and Churchill Museum-yes I am a nerd, you don’t have to remind me. We took the bus at 9am from Canterbury and got to London a little after 11. We parted ways so I could get to the museum. I really enjoyed the tour of the War Rooms and the museum. I loved that they had the rooms just as they were left when the war ended. I spent an hour there and then decided to wander up Whitehall to Downing St. before I met Nikita at 1pm. I also went partway across Westminster Bridge so I could get a good look of Big Ben and the Parliament buildings. I found a bagpiper on the bridge who wasn’t terribly good, but I enjoyed listening to him anyway. Nikita and I met back up and walked back down to the bus station…by way of Starbucks for tea and soy lattes. It was a short trip, but a very enjoyable one. Best story ever!- Once Nikita and I had gotten up to Big Ben/Parliament/Westminster area, we had to decided when we were going to meet up. I asked Nikita what time it was and she looked at her watch and said, “11:30.” I thought that we should meet back up at 1, then I realized. Here we are, right in front of the most famous clock in the world and I asked Nikita what the time it was, which she obliged and checked HER WATCH! We had a good laugh about that…epic fail! :) Thursday night I started packing and think that I’m going to get all of my crap in my bags, could be overweight, but I’ll deal with that when the time comes. Today has been a day of goodbyes. Karen stopped by to say goodbye and pick up the air bed that she had loaned me. Then I went to the university to say goodbye to one of my favorite tutors, Ken and we talked for a good hour. Then I had to go get a baguette at my favorite little shop and say goodbye to the American owners that I’ve come to know well. After strolling around Canterbury with my baguette I had to say one of the hardest goodbyes, I had to take my last walk around the Cathedral. I’ve really fallen in love with it, everything about it from the history to the architecture. I decided to light a candle at the Becket shrine, in a way as a symbol of thanks to the place for giving me such fond memories of my time there. I started to walk back to my house, but saw Beth, Laura and Katie in The Corner Café and decided to sit and talk with them for a while. We left there after they finished their lunch and we went to The Chambers Café and Coffee Bar for some warm drinks, dessert and reminiscing of our adventures here. They went to go do some last minute shopping and I took my last walk back to my house from High St. Tonight is the Christmas party and farewell to the Americans at The Jolly Sailor which most people are going to, so I will be going to say goodbye to all of my friends. I’m not going to be able to stay to long because I have to get up really early to head to the airport. The taxi is coming at 6:45 to collect us and my fight leaves at 11am. I will be back in Chicago by 2pm tomorrow. I cannot believe how quickly the time has gone, but I know I’ve enjoyed it all.

No comments: