Monday, November 24, 2008

More tales from Canters...and Windsor too!
















Hello all!





Hope everyone is staying warm back home-I hear that it's pretty chilly. It's gotten pretty cold here too, usually highs have been in the mid-40s. Yesterday morning I actually woke up to snow outside my window! They told us it hardly ever snows in these parts, but I guess they were wrong. I just loved seeing the beautiful big flakes coming down, just wished it would have stayed around a bit longer. It was all gone in about 20min when it started to rain really hard. It cleared up later in the day and was actually quite pleasent. Ok, back to last Friday and the very last of our fieldtrips. This time we went to Windsor Castle, about 2 1/2 hours from Canterbury by bus. I wasn't looking forward to this one as much as I had with the others, but it turned out to be a great time. We did a audio tour of the castle, which was interesting, but I was having a hard time absorbing all of the info and made it through the castle with Shanna in a relatively short amount of time compared to the rest of the group. I did get to see St. George's Chapel where Prince Charles and Camilla were married. That chapel is also were the Queen Mother and George VI are buried, so that was very interesting. Shanna and I sort of wandered around Windsor and found a café called Cinnamon. Shanna had a really yummy looking toastie and I had a toasted bagel that was very good...and some tea to warm me up because we were freezing! Did some gift shopping around the castle, then met up with Nikita, Gracie and Christina and had tea and some snacks at a little tea room/restaurant that was really old...like from the 17th century or something. Very cool and good tea! Did some more wandering a gift shopping until it was time to get back on the bus. It was another long bus ride back to Canterbury and we were all ready to get off. Beth, Laura, Katie and I stopped by Sainsbury's on our way back to Parham to get some pasta for dinner. We all come back to my house and made dinner, while listening to the soundtrack from Anastasia..yes, we are cool kids. :) Dinner was good and we sat around chatting it up and drinking Kopparberg cider...mmmm. Nikita came back with her mom and sister who are here visiting for a few days. Saturday Jordan came at 2:30pm and I met her at the bus station. It was so good to see her after not seeing her since a week before I left to come to England. We walked down High St., looking at all of the vendors set up with the Christmas Market that's going on now. So many wonderful things to see, smell and taste, it's sort of overwhelming! Got Jordan settled in and then took her on her first trip to ASDA. We had to get some food for dinner and the like. When we got back, I started making a cake for one of my housemates, Rick, whose birthday was Sunday. I made a homemade chocolate layer cake with yummy chocolate cream icing. It looked pretty good I must say. I decorated it with blue icing and put 20 candles in it. It was a lot of fun to make and Jordan helped so it was even better! We had a good dinner, Skyped with Matt (Jordan's boy) and I made Jordan go to bed early because she was so jet lagged. Sunday we got up late and went shopping at Whitefriars just off High St. Came back once it got dark and made dinner again. I had to finish a paper for my history class, so Jordan finished reading Twilight. Rick and his girlfriend Emma got back from his birthday dinner and they dug into the cake I made. We had to light all the candles and sing to him too. He loved the cake and even though I couldn't eat any myself, it was nice to see them enjoy it. Nikita and her friend from home Sarah came back later from London and we didn't go to bed until late. Today I showed Jordan the university and we did some more shopping around High St. We got baguettes at the little baguette shop that I love so much and had a really intense political conversation with one of the owners. It was sort of fun though, it's sort of like a bit of home going in there since the owners are both American. They are both really nice and I love being able to talk with them. Got back in the late afternoon, it had gotten really cold. Made some tea and soup to warm us up. Now I'm sitting in the kitchen while Jordan is taking a nap upstairs because she couldn't fall asleep until 4am. Tonight we might be going out to celebrate Rick's birthday at a pub on Orange St. that I can't remember the name of. I have class on Wednesday and Thursday, so Jordan gets to explore by herself and on Friday we are going to London. That reminds me, I have to go get out bus tickets online! Saturday is a Christmas market up in Whitstable that we are going to try and get to and then Jordan leaves early Sunday morning. Not sure what we're going to do tomorrow, but at some time we'll probably be checking out the cathedral, this time not just taking pictures of the outside. Hope everyone is well and that you all have a lovely Thanksgiving!





Cheers from across the pond!





e

No comments: